Our History

Asheville AAUW is one of the largest branches in North Carolina. Now in its 97th year, it is also one of the oldest branches in the state. On March 27, 1915, sixteen local women with college degrees met and established the Western Carolina Branch of the Southern Association of College Women.

The SACW later merged with similar women’s groups and became a part of a national organization which had been established in 1881. That national organization became American Association of University Women, or AAUW.

From its inception, the Asheville branch has tackled community projects which improved the lives of women and girls. It was a key player in establishing college standards for women, night schools, schools for mountain residents, a public library, and a juvenile court system.